Navigating the intricacies of software licensing can be complex, especially when ensuring that your tools are up-to-date and fully functional. This article provides essential information on upgrading the concurrent use license for Surfer and Grapher. Whether your server is online or offline, you'll find the necessary steps to update your license. Additionally, delve into the specifics of the Golden Software License Administrator, from viewing license details to understanding the version history.
|Table of Contents|
Upgrade concurrent use license to the latest version
The latest releases of Surfer and Grapher are available to all users with active software maintenance or an active software subscription. Before users can access the latest version, the license on the server computer must be updated. Please follow the directions below to update a concurrent license on the license server.
We highly recommend updating the License Administrator and License Manager while you update the license on the server computer.
Concurrent use license on a server with internet access
- Open the Golden Software License Administrator.
- Click Manage on the left side of the License Administrator window.
- In the Manage installed licenses section, click Surfer or Grapher.
- Click the Update selected license button at the bottom of the window.
Once the license on the license server is updated, software users can update the software by clicking File | Online | Check for Update.
Concurrent use license on server without internet access
If your license server is offline, please contact us with your product key and ask for an updated license for your offline license server.
View license information in the License Administrator
All of the information about your Golden Software concurrent use licenses, including the Product Key, Activation ID, Seat count, Locking code, and more, can be found in the Manage tab of the License Administrator. To view this information, open the Golden Software License Administrator and click Manage on the left side of the window. Then click the desired Feature license in the Manage installed licenses section on the right (shown below).
Identify concurrent use license seat users
The Golden Software License Administrator makes it easy see current users of software license seats. This can be helpful if all seats are unexpectedly in use or if you want to wait for a period of non-use to complete server maintenance.
To view license seat usage:
- Open the Golden Software License Administrator. The License Administrator can be run on either the license server or on the computer running Surfer, Grapher or Strater.
- If not already set up, use the Settings tab to connect to the license server.
- Click on the Status tab in the pane on the left.
- Click on a license (Surfer, Grapher or Strater) in the License Features section in the pane on the right.
- The number of seats being used are listed to the right of the License Features section, and the names of the users using those seats are listed in the table at the bottom of the pane.
License Administrator version history
Official version history and change log information for the Golden Software License Administrator
License Administrator 3.1.345 (September 22, 2022)
- Fix a bug that would prevent the program from opening in certain cases.
License Administrator 3.0.330 (July 13, 2022)
Licensing technology improvements:
- Updated the Sentinel licensing libraries from RMS 8.6.2 to RMS 9.7.2.
- Updated the license client to use the Sentinel Unified RMS API.
- Updated all Sentinel EMS webservice calls to use the EMS v5 webservice API.
- The Support Code is now displayed for each license in the Manage tab.
- The License Manager version is now displayed on the Settings tab.
- Improved the display on the Status tab when there are many licenses on the server.
- The offline activation file now includes various locking codes.
- License strings are now removed from the license file after deactivation.
- The Usage tab no longer displays an error when there is no usage data to display.
- When a user double-clicks the License Administrator desktop icon when the program is already running, the existing License Administrator opens rather than displaying a dialog telling the user to open LA from the system tray. There are still a few cases where they may see the old dialog.
License Administrator 2.2.271 (October 27, 2021)
- Updated licensing webservice calls for security and compliance.
The license administrator now runs automatically when Windows is started. When the license administrator is closed or minimized, it remains running in the system tray. To close the license administrator, right-click the icon in the system tray. The user can disable the automatic running of LA from the Settings page.
- Every 12 hours a check is done to see if any license updates are available. A green up-arrow appears in the Manage page for each license that has an update available.
If the RMS version of the license manager is lower than the RMS version of the license administrator, a notification dialog appears instructing the user to update the license manager. There is also a message on the Settings page that opens the other notification dialog.
When activating a license that uses a custom locking code, the user no longer has to adjust the locking code on the Settings page before activating the product key.
- The program icon is updated to improve visibility.
- Fixed an issue where deactivation of license indicates success after an error occurs.
- Fixed an issue where a license could not be deactivated when a license update is pending.
- Improved the user message when attempting to update a disabled license.
- Improved the handling of program exceptions.
License Administrator 2.1.213 (August 21, 2018)
- Fixed an issue where Error or Error message was displayed on status tab when a seat is commuted.
- Fixed an issue where "Error: Client library not in initialized state" was displayed when adding a license string.
License Administrator 2.0.201 (February 27, 2018)
- Licenses can now be updated without having all the users exit their program.
- Simplified the creation of an offline activation request.
- The user can now view usage logs without having to run as an administrator.
- The user can now view but not change other companies licenses.
- The user can now search the local network for license managers.
- The license administrator works in a view-only mode when connected to a remote license manager.
- The user can now receives automatic notification for License Administrator program updates.
- Fixed an issue where the a crash could occur when searching for license servers and some license servers have very long FQNs.
- Fixed an issue where an error or crash could occur when opening the license administrator on server with no license manager running.
- Fixed an issue where "Error: Client library not in initialized state" would appear when adding a license string.
License Administrator 1.0.96 (December 19, 2016)
Other programs licenses are listed in License Administrator
All software features activated on the server computer that use Sentinel software licensing will be displayed in the License Administrator. Please note that only Golden Software licenses can be activated and deactivated using the Golden Software License Administrator.
If you encounter any challenges or have further questions while upgrading your concurrent use license or navigating the Golden Software License Administrator, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Customer Success Team. We're here to help ensure you have a smooth and seamless experience. Remember, keeping your software and licenses updated is key to unlocking the full potential of Surfer and Grapher. Your success is our priority.
Updated August 2023