There are many exciting new features in Grapher Preview! We focused on increasing usability, improving workflows to increase time savings, and including the most commonly requested new features. The top new features are listed below. A more complete list of the new features can be found in the online help.
Utilize more customization over the display of your data with the new, more flexible, more powerful Colormap Editor.
- Add, remove, rename and rearrange presets in the Preset drop down menu
- Separate color mapping and opacity mapping allows more control over how to best represent your data. Easily set the fill to be gradually transparent or opaque, or insert or delete opacity nodes to get the transparency settings you need.
- A histogram behind both the colormap and opacity map shows the spread of values in your data, so you can easily see where you need more colors or different opacity settings to represent the data.
- Change the colormap stretch to Evenly distribute (equal spacing between nodes) or Equalize (i.e. equal area stretch, where nodes are placed such that the same amount of data is between each node pair)
- Change the colormap method to change how the color gradation is interpreted between nodes
- Scale colormap values linearly or logarithmically to emphasize small changes in the colors
The new Colormap Editor offers much greater control over the colormap and opacity map.
In Grapher v15 the ability was added to customize how break axes display on the plot for certain line plots. Add a grid line, empty space, the axis break symbol, or a user defined symbol to show where the break affects the plot. This functionality has been extended to bar charts in Grapher Preview v16.
Bar chart bars can be broken with the axis break symbol to show where the break affects the bars.
Points in a scatter plot can quickly and easily be differentiated by applying a symbol table. Similarly, colors in a bar chart or in certain other plot types can be differentiated by applying a color table. Now a legend can be added for these symbol tables and color tables to more easily convey what these symbols and colors represent.
Add a legend to a symbol table or color table to convey what each symbol or color represents.
Grapher v15 added the ability to create a scatter plot and color the symbols with a gradient, based on the values in a data column. This allowed for the display of an extra variable of data in a familiar and intuitive plot type. Now you can add a color scale to this plot type to easily convey at-a-glance what values the colored points represent.
Add a color scale to a scatter plot to convey what values the colored points represent.
5. Enhanced file sharing functionality
Beginning with Grapher Preview v16, we have serialized the file format, so all future versions will use the same file format. This will allow you to open a Grapher 17 or Grapher 18 file in Grapher 16 without having to save back to an older file, making it easier than ever to share files among coworkers with different versions.
Open future Grapher files in Grapher 16 without saving back.
New features will be excluded when opening in an older version.
Updated August 12, 2019