With the new Contour Vol/Area tool you can calculate the volume and area above contour lines, below contour lines, and in between contour lines. In previous versions of Surfer, this information could only be obtained quickly via automation!
- Click Grids | Calculate | Contour Vol/Area in the ribbon.
- In the Input Grid field, either click over None to select an open grid file, or click Browse to browse to a grid file.
- Set the Minimum Contour, Maximum Contour, and Contour Interval fields to your desired settings.
- If you chose to select an open grid from the dropdown, Surfer will automatically use the Minimum Contour, Maximum Contour, and Contour Interval that are set in the Property Manager on the Levels tab. These values can be changed by typing in a new value.
- If you chose to select a new grid via Browse, Surfer will automatically apply the default Minimum Contour, Maximum Contour, and Contour Interval that you would see upon importing the grid as a Contour map. These values can be changed by typing in a new value.
- Click OK. Review the information in the report. Save the report by clicking File | Save if desired.
Surfer will output the Grid Contour Vol/Area report. This report contains the following information:
- The Grid Input section displays the grid file, minimum contour value, maximum contour value, and interval used to generate the report.
- The Contour Areas section lists each contour value and the associated data for the following:
- Planar Area Above Contour
- Planar Area Below Contour
- Surface Area Above Contour
- Surface Area Below Contour
- Surface Area Between Contour
- The Contour Volumes section lists each contour value and the associated data for the following:
- Volume Above Contour
- Volume Below Contour
- Volume Between Contour
Updated January 2021