You can name the vector objects in a Base(vector) layer using an attribute field in the associated Attribute Table for that layer. This means that you no longer need to have all of your objects named Polygon, Polyline, etc. You also do not need to manually rename each object if you want the object names to come from data already existing in the Attribute Table.
To do so:
- In the Contents window, click a Base(vector) layer to select it.
- Click the + icon to expand the Base(vector) layer. All the objects are initially named using the object Type by default
- In the Properties window, click the General tab
- Change the Attribute for object name field to your desired Attribute field. The objects are now named by the corresponding attribute value for each object.
- If you rename an object manually, then change the Attribute for object name field to a different attribute, the renamed object(s) will not update.
- The Reset object names button will reset any manually changed objects back to the selected attribute column name.
- If you set the name to an attribute field, then change the attribute value in the Attribute Table or on Info page, then the name object name will change too.
- If an object doesn't have an attribute value for the selected attribute, then the name remains the default 'Polygon', etc.
Updated November 18, 2021