Between the release of Surfer 15 and Surfer 16, the preset colormap gradients changed. Some of these colormap gradients were just renamed (see here for a list), but others were removed.
If you were a big fan of one or more of the colormap gradients that are no longer included in newer versions of Surfer, fear not, you can get them back!
- Download the attached Gradient_old.ini file and open it in Notepad.
- Navigate to %appdata%\Golden Software\Surfer and open the Gradient.ini file there in Notepad.
- Copy the desired rows from the Gradient_old.ini file into the desired location in the Gradient.ini file.
- Click File | Save in the Notepad window where the Gradient.ini file is open.
- Close both instances of Notepad.
Now the desired older colormap gradient(s) will once again be listed in the Colormap dropdown list along with the new colormap gradients.
If you dislike all of the new colormaps and want all of the old ones back:
- Download the attached Gradient_old.ini file.
- Rename it Gradient.ini.
- Copy/paste this file into %appdata%\Golden Software\Surfer, making sure to click Yes when asked if you want to overwrite the existing file.
Now the old colormap gradients will once again be listed in the Colormap dropdown list instead of the new colormap gradients.
Updated March 19, 2020