The shear option in Surfer's transform dialog shears a map horizontally. If you would like the option to shear a map vertically in Surfer, please let us know. In the meantime, the workflow below can be used to imitate a vertical shear of your map.
- Rotate the grid file so that X and Y are switched:
- Click Grids | Calculate | Transform.
- In the Grid Transform dialog select your contour layer in the Input Grid field or click Browse to select the desired grid file.
- Change the Operation to Rotate and enter 270 (or the desired rotation angle) as the rotation angle
- Enter a new Output Grid File name, if desired.
- Uncheck Add grid as layer to and click OK.
- Click OK in the Export Options dialog.
- Click OK in the Surfer dialog indicating the new grid was created.
- Click the Contours layer in the Contents window.
- In the Properties window, click the open file icon in the Grid file field.
- Select the rotated grid file created above and click Open.
- If necessary, in the Surfer Warning, click Yes to adjust the map limits to include this layer.
- Click Home | Selection | Transform.
- In the Transform dialog, enter the desired Shear value.
- Enter 90 in the Rotation field and click OK.
- If desired, you can now select the axes to rotate the labels and/or change which ones are displaying the ticks and labels.
Updated November 24, 2021