Q: I have contours in a SHP file and I want to limit them to only appear inside an irregular boundary. How can I do this in Surfer?
A: To blank or crop the contours in a vector file like a SHP file in Surfer:
- Click Map Tools | Add to Map | Layer | Base.
- In the Import dialog, choose your SHP file and click Open.
- Click on the base layer in the Contents window and click Features | Group | Edit Group.
- Use the Home | Insert | Polygon command to draw the shape you want to blank outside of.
- Click and drag your mouse on the page to bulk-select the drawn polygon and all of the polylines it intersects.
- Click the Features | Edit Polylines | Break at Intersections.
- Delete all of the polylines outside of the polygon.
- Delete the drawn polygon if desired.
- Click on the base layer in the Contents window and click Features | Group | Stop Editing Group.
Updated January 24, 2017