If you're seeing a message like the following when you try opening your old Surfer or Grapher files in a newer version of the program, you can use Golden Software's free online file converter to convert them into a newer file format:
Surfer 5 and 6 SRF files are no longer supported by Surfer. To convert this file to a format that can be read, please open and resave it in either Surfer 7, 8, 9 or 10. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
The file converter can convert Grapher 1 and DOS files to a newer file format that can be read into Grapher 9 and above, and can convert Surfer 6 and below files into a newer file format that can be read into Surfer 11 and above.
To convert your files:
- Log into your account. If you haven't created an account yet, follow the instructions here.
- Click the Browse button and navigate to your SRF or GRF files, or click and drag them into the box.
- In the Options column for one of the SRF/GRF files, click the Import Options icon .
- In the Import Options dialog, either click the Browse button and navigate to the data file(s) for that SRF/GRF, or else click and drag them into the External Files box. Click OK.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the other SRF/GRF files.
- Click Convert.
- Click Confirm.
- If the converted files don't automatically download, click to the My Files tab, select your files and click Download.
Updated October 19, 2016