Sometimes, a dialog will disappear from view. It will seem as if Grapher is not responding. But, if you click on the screen, you will hear a beep. Or, you might see a part of the dialog, but not the entire dialog. And, the dialog won't allow you to resize it.
When this happens, most likely, the dialog is displayed, but is outside the view of the current monitor setup. This can happen for a variety of reasons, including the dialog being physically dragged off the screen, adding or subtracting monitors, or a change in screen size/resolution.
There are three ways to return the program to the default window layout when this happens:
Option 1: In many of our current programs, there is a command to restore the windows to their default locations. Click View | Display | Reset Windows, then close and reopen the Grapher program. All windows should again be visible.
Option 2: Move the dialog with keystrokes. An old Windows trick to move a dialog is to use the keyboard commands. So, if you are expecting a dialog to appear and see nothing, press ALT+SPACEBAR on the keyboard. This activates the pop-up menu for the dialog. Press M to Move the dialog. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the dialog into view. This may take several tries, as the dialog can be to the left, right, above, or below the existing Grapher window.
Option 3: Edit the registry. Since altering the registry incorrectly can cause the program to not run correctly or the machine to not boot, it is highly advised that this procedure be used by expert users only. Please be very careful when using this method.
- Close Grapher.
- Click the Windows Start button.
- In the Search programs and files area, type regedit and press ENTER on the keyboard. This will open the Registry Editor.
- Click on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Golden Software | Grapher | 13 folder.
- Press the DELETE key on the keyboard or click Edit | Delete.
- Click Yes in the Confirm Key Delete dialog.
- Close the registry editor.
- Open Grapher, as normal. The dialog positions and all default settings will be reset.
Updated December 12, 2017