Variable bar charts can be stacked, adjacent, or a combination of stacked and adjacent within Grapher. To create a multi-variable graph displaying some bar chart variables as stacked, and others as an adjacent stack of bars, complete the steps below:
- Click the appropriate Home | New Graph | Bar | Vertical Bar Chart command.
- Select the data file and click Open. The first bar chart is created.
- In the Object Manager, click the Bar Chart to select it.
- In the Plot tab of the Property Manager, verify that the Y variable column is assigned correctly.
- Click Create in the New plot field until a bar has been added for each variable.
- Adjust the other bar properties as desired.
- Click the Groups tab.
- Expand the Bar Charts section. By default, each of the bar charts will be assigned to the same group (Group 1).
- Click next to any bar chart you wish to be in a different group of stacked bars, and select New Group.
- Click next to any remaining bars that belong in the second group and select Group 2. You now have two stacked bars with multiple variables adjacent to one another.
- Repeat steps 9-10 for each additional group.
Once all the bars are in the appropriate groups, your graph will look something like:
Use Bar Groups to stack some bars and make other bars adjacent to them.
Updated March 2023
Please sign in to leave a comment.