Grapher allows multiple variable bar charts to be stacked, adjacent, or a combination of stacked and adjacent. To create a multi-variable graph that shows some bar chart variables as stacked and other bar chart variables adjacent to a stack of bars, complete the steps below:
- Click the appropriate Home | New Graph | Bar | Vertical Bar Chart command.
- Select the data file and click Open. The first bar chart is created.
- In the Object Manager, click the Bar Chart to select it.
- In the Plot tab of the Property Manager, verify that the Y variable column is assigned correctly.
- Click Create in the New plot field until a bar has been added for each variable.
- Adjust the other bar properties as desired.
- Click the Bar Groups tab.
- Expand the Bar Charts section. By default, each of the bar charts will be assigned to the same group (Group 1).
- Click next to one of the bar charts that you would like to be in a different group of stacked bars and select New Group.
- Click next to each of the other bars that belong in the second group and select Group 2. You now have two stacked bars with multiple variables adjacent to one another.
- Repeat steps 9-10 for each additional group.
Once all the bars are in the appropriate groups, your graph will look something like:
Use Bar Groups to stack some bars and make other bars adjacent to them.
Updated August 5, 2019