In Surfer, if the feature editing tools (such as Features | Change Type | Change Type | Polyline to Polygon or Features | Edit Polylines | Break Polyline) are greyed out, the base layer is likely not in edit mode. To use most of the commands on the Features tab on features in a base layer, the base layer must be in edit mode.
- Create a base map (Home | New Map | Base | Base).
- Select the base map file (i.e. a DXF, SHP, MIF, GSI, etc) and click Open.
- Select a feature in the base layer (i.e. a polyline or polygon) and note that most of the commands on the Features tab are disabled.
- Right-click over the Base layer in the Contents window and click Edit Group.
- Now you can select the feature in the base layer and the appropriate commands on the Features tab are enabled.
- When finished editing the features, do not forget to right click over the Base layer in the Contents window and click Stop Editing Group.
Updated January 30, 2017