The Start Editing command allows you to perform actions on items within a group or base layer. Such actions include:
- Using most of the commands under the Features menu. The Reshape command does not require you to be in edit mode.
- Querying objects in a base layer (Map Tools | Layer Tools | Query Objects).
- Selecting more than one object in a group or base layer at the same time.
All the functions mentioned above require a base layer to be in edit mode before use. Remember to stop editing the group before saving or exporting the file. For example, to add a polygon to a base layer:
- Select the Base(vector) layer in the Contents window.
- Click Features | Group | Start Editing.
- Click Features | Insert | Polygon and draw a polygon. The polygon is added as part of that base layer.
- Press ESC on your keyboard to exit drawing mode.
- Click Features | Group | Stop Editing.
Updated October 25, 2018