Currently, buffers are only available for drawn objects and objects on base layers; they cannot be added to points on a post layer. However, you can use the steps below to create a base map from your data file, and add buffers to the desired points in the base layer.
- Create a base map.
- Click the Home | New Map | Base | Base from Data command.
- In the Open Data dialog, select your ASCII data file created above.
- Click Open.
- In the Base from XY Data dialog, choose the rows to plot in the Data Rows section, and verify that your X and Y columns are set appropriately in the Data Columns section.
- Click OK and the base map is created.
- Add a buffer.
- In the Contents window, select the Base layer.
- Click the Features | Group | Edit Group command.
- Select the desired point(s).
- Click the Features | New Features | Buffer command.
- In the Buffer dialog, enter the desired Number of buffers and Buffer distance (the units of the Buffer distance are the same as the map units).
- Click OK.
- Click the Features | Group | Stop Editing Group command.
Updated September 18, 2017