Buffer zones can be drawn around points, polylines, or polygons on a map. To do so:
- Use the Draw | Shape | Point command to manually draw points, or use the Map | Create Map | Pin command to create a pin map from x/y, US city/state, or US 5-digit ZIP code data.
- Click Map | Plot | Plot Properties.
- In the Units tab of the Property Manager, set the Surface distance units to the units you want to use for your buffer zone. For example, if you want a 10 mile buffer, set this to Miles.
- Click on one point to select it, or click a point and then hold Shift/Ctrl to select multiple points.
- Click Draw | Region | Buffer.
- In the Buffer Zone Settings dialog, check the box next to Point in the Create buffer zone around section.
- Set the Buffer width and the Error tolerance and then click OK. The buffer zone(s) is/are created.
Updated October 6, 2016