Grapher requires numeric or date/time data to create a graph. If your data is for categories, the sequence or row number can be used as a numeric representation of the category data. The worksheet value can then be used to label the axis by following the steps below.
If your data looks similar to this:
|Most Popular Majors||Number of Bachelor's Degrees|
Follow these steps to create a scatter plot from category data in Grapher:
- Click the Home | New Graph | Basic | Scatter Plot command.
- Select the data file and click Open. The default graph is created using the only column of numeric data as both X and Y.
- Click on the scatter plot in the Object Manager.
- In the Property Manager, click on the Plot tab.
- Select Row number or Sequence number from the X variable list.
- Verify that the Y variable is set to Column B.
- Click X Axis 1 in the Object Manager to select it.
- In the Property Manager, click on the Labels tab.
- In the General section, select From worksheet in the Label source field.
- Click on None in the Worksheet field and select the data file from the list.
- Click in the Data variable field and select Row number or Sequence number from the list. Be sure to select the same option as selected in step 5 above.
- Click in the Label variable field and select Column A from the list. Your graph should now contain categories for the X axis labels.
- Depending on which rows are displayed, you may need to open the Worksheet range section and change the First row and Last row values.
- If your labels are overlapping, expand the Label Settings section, and increase or decrease the Angle (90 is vertical) in the Label Position section.
Follow these steps to create a bar chart from category data in Grapher:
- Click the Home | New Graph | Bar | Horizontal Category Bar Chart command.
- Select the data file and click Open.
- The default graph is created with the category labels automatically displayed.
Updated July 22, 2019