Grapher requires worksheets that contain numeric or date/time data to create a graph. If your data are in categories, you will need to use a slight work around to create your graphs in Grapher.
If your data looks similar to this:
|Most Popular Majors||Number of Bachelor's Degrees|
Follow these steps to create a scatter plot in Grapher:
- Click the Home | New Graph | Basic | Line/Scatter Plot () command.
- Select the data file and click Open. The default graph is created.
- Click on the Line/Scatter Plot 1 plot in the Object Manager.
- In the Property Manager, click on the Plot tab.
- Click on the column name next to X column and select Row number or Sequence number from the list. The difference between Row number and Sequence number is that Row number always use the row of the value. Sequence number starts numbering at 1, regardless of which row the data is in.
- Verify that the Y column is set to Column B.
- Click on the X Axis 1 in the Object Manager to select it.
- In the Property Manager, click on the Labels tab.
- In the General section, click on Automatic next to Label source and select From worksheet from the list.
- Click on None next to the Worksheet option and select the data file from the list.
- Click on the existing option next to Data column and select Row number or Sequence number from the list. Be sure to select the same option as selected in step 5 above.
- Click on the existing option next to Label column and select Column A from the list. Your graph should now contain categories for the X axis labels.
- If your labels are overlapping, expand the Label Settings section, and toggle the Angle up or down (90 being vertical).
- Depending on which rows are displayed, you may need to open the Worksheet rows section and change the First row and Last row values.
Follow these steps to create a bar chart:
- Click the Home | New Graph | Bar | Vertical Category Bar Chart () command.
- Select the data file and click Open. The default graph is created with the category labels automatically displayed.
- Other options can be altered, including fill for the bars, size of the bars, and angle rotation on the axis by selecting the Bar Chart layer in the Contents window and making changes in the Labels tab of the Property Manager.
Updated November 16, 2017