To change these settings:
- Select the Contours layer in the Contents window.
- In the Properties window, click the Levels tab.
- Set the Level method to Advanced.
- Click the Edit Levels button.
- In the Levels for Map dialog, click the Label column header.
- In the Labels dialog you can edit the label settings.
- Increase the Curve Tolerance to a larger value (e.g. 1.5).
- Decrease the Label to Label Distance to a value well within the size of your map. This is the distance between labels along the length of any given contour line.
- Decrease the Label to Edge Distance to a value well within the size of your map. This is the distance between the map edge and the labels on the map.
- Check the Affected Levels section to be sure the First value is the first level you want labeled, and the Skip value is not too high (this is the number of levels to skip between labeled levels).
- You may also want to click on the Font button to reduce the Size (points) and click OK.
- Click OK to close the Labels dialog.
- Click OK to close the Levels for Map dialog and apply the changes.
If adjusting those settings do not help, you can force labels to show up by right clicking over the map and clicking Edit Contour Labels. Hold the CTRL key on your keyboard and click on a contour line to add labels at that location. You can also drag labels along the contour line to reposition them. Press ESC on the keyboard to save the changes. Be aware that this should be done last. Any other editing of the contour map will lose the custom label edits.
Updated February 10, 2017