Another possibility is that the base map is in a different coordinate system than the coordinates in the post map data file. If you are using data from different coordinate system to create your maps, then be sure you are selecting the correct coordinate system for each layer and the map frame so that all the data can be displayed correctly. To do this:
- Select a layer in the Contents window, and click the Coordinate System tab in the Properties window.
- Click the Set button and make sure the coordinate system is appropriate for the source data file for that layer. If it is not correct, select the coordinate system for the source data.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for every layer in the Map frame.
- Then select Map in the Contents window, and click the Coordinate System tab in the Properties window.
- Click the Change button and assign a coordinate system for the map to be displayed in.
If you do not know the source coordinate system for the data and/or grid files, set all coordinate systems to Unreferenced local system. A coordinate system transformation cannot be applied if the source coordinate systems are unknown.
Updated November 13, 2018