To draw objects on a base layer:
- Select your existing map and click Home | Add to Map | Layer | Empty Base.
- Click the new empty Base(vector) layer in the Contents.
- Click Home | Insert | <object type>.
- Draw the objects over the map. Create as many objects as you wish.
- When you are finished, uncheck the boxes next to the original map layer and all the axes in the Contents window and click File | Export to export the base layer to a new file (i.e. BLN, GSI, or DXF).
If the objects are already drawn on top of the map, or you want to draw them floating on top of the map, and you just want to export them in map units, you can simply turn off the visibility of the map and export them. To do this:
- Uncheck the map in the Contents window, so it is invisible. Uncheck any other objects, so just the objects you want to export are visible.
- Click File | Export.
- Give the file a name, choose the Save as format and click Save.
- In the Export Options dialog, select Map as the Scaling source. The File Rectangle coordinates update with map units.
- Click OK the file is exported. You can check the boxes in the Contents window to make the hidden objects visible again.
Updated October 18, 2021