There is not a direct way to change the X or Y axis scaling to be logarithmic in Surfer. If you would like this, please add your vote to the request on our suggestion file by emailing email@example.com.
However, you can work around this by taking the log of the data prior to creating the map. To have the X or Y axis in logarithmic scale, take the log of the original data in the Surfer worksheet and regrid the data.
- Click File | Open and open the data file in the Surfer worksheet.
- Click Data | Data | Transform.
- If the data you want to be log is in column A, and column D is the empty column where you want to store the log values, enter the Transform equation: D = log10(A). This will calculate the log base 10 of the values in column A and enter them into column D.
- Click File | Save and File | Close to save and close the data file.
- Click Grids | New Grid | Grid Data, select the data file and click Open.
- Choose your gridding parameters, selecting column D as the X or Y data column instead of column A.
- Click OK and the new grid is created. Create a map of this data. The axes will still be linearly scaled, but the values will be the log values.
Updated January 17, 2017