There are three recommended workflows for labeling the plot names in Grapher. The first option is to label the plot with the plot title. The second option involves creating a new column of data containing the name of each plot. The benefit to these methods is that the labels are automatically placed relative to the associated graph. The third option is to use a graph legend and manually move the legend labels for each graph. This option is used primarily by users of older Grapher versions.
Method 1: Plot title label
- Click the Plot in the Object Manager.
- In the Title tab in the Property Manager:
- Check the box in the Link title to plot field to use the plot name in the Object Manager as the plot title. Or:
- Enter the desired plot title in the Text field.
- Check the box next to Use plot color for title to make the title text color to match the plot line color.
- Check the box next to Title along line to make the title text follow the plot line.
- Adjust the Anchor setting and other fields to adjust the position of the label.
Plot titles are added as labels to each plot
Method 2: Worksheet labels
- Open the worksheet used to create the graph and add a new column with the desired plot names as shown below.
- Click the first Plot in the Object Manager.
- Click the Labels tab in the Property Manager.
- Click in the Label variable field and select the new worksheet column containing the plot names.
- In the First row field, enter the row containing the appropriate plot name and press ENTER.
- Repeat step 5 for the Last row field.
- If needed, adjust the X offset and Y offset and Font properties for the label.
- Repeat steps 2-7 for each plot in the graph.
Plot name labels are added to each plot in the graph
Method 3: Custom legend label positions
- Click on the Graph or any plot in the graph to select it.
- Click the Graphs Tools | Add to Graph | Legend command (). A default legend displaying all plots is added to the graph.
The default legend is added to the graph,
displaying all of the plots in the graph in the order the plots are drawn.
- Click on Legend 1 in the Object Manager to select it.
- In the Property Manager, click on the Title tab.
- Expand the Title Properties section, if needed
- Delete all text in the Text field.
- Click the Legend tab.
- Change the value in the Line length field to 0.
- Change the Number of symbols field to 0.
- Click on the Line tab.
- Change the Style to Invisible.
- Click on the Fill tab.
- Change the Pattern to None.
- Click the Graph Tools | Plot Tools | Move Labels command ().
- With the first legend entry selected, click and drag the text to the desired location on the plot. This can be inside the existing legend or anywhere else on the graph.
- Click on the next entry text in the legend and drag it to the desired location. Repeat for all text that should be moved.
- Press ESC on the keyboard to end label movement mode. All of the labels are now next to the appropriate plots.
The legend labels are now placed next to each line in the graph.
Updated March 10, 2020
Please sign in to leave a comment.