It is not possible to create a grid from a data file that does not have variation in the Z column. To create a horizontal planr grid, either add slight variation to the Z values in the data file (i.e. one point's Z value is different by 0.000001 from the other points), or create a horizontal grid using the Grids | New Grid | Function command.
- Click Grids | New Grid | Function.
- In the Grid Function dialog,
- Enter the desired X and Y Minimum and Maximum values for the grid.
- Set any desired Increment value. This is the spacing of the grid nodes. Since the grid is horizontal, this does not have to be a high resolution grid file.
- Enter the function Z=75, where 75 is the Z value for the horizontal plane.
- Give the grid a new name/location (if desired).
- Check Add grid as layer to: if you want to add the newly generated grid to the active project.
- If the above option is checked, you can also specify what type of map layer you want to add to the project by setting the New layer type option.
- Click OK and the grid is created.
Enter the function where Z equals the Z value of the horizontal plane.
The horizontal grid is created with Grid Function and can be used to create maps.
Updated September 11, 2017