You can download base maps from a variety of online sources.
- You can download imagery from WMS servers directly into Surfer (see instructions below).
- You can also download some boundaries from our website.
- You can also look through some of the options in our Useful links webpage. There are a number of places to download base map files.
You can download the online base maps directly within Surfer. To do so:
- Click Home | New Map | Base | Base from Server.
- In the Download Online Maps dialog,
- In the Select Data Source section, select the layer from your desired server. For example, expand OpenStreetMaps Imagery and select the OSM Mapnik layer.
- In the Select Area to Download section, select the location you wish to download the image for. For example, Specify Latitude/Longitude extents and then enter your extents (ex: West = -105.27, East = -105.17, South = 39.73, North = 39.79). If you were adding a base layer from a server to an existing georeferenced map, this section would automatically be filled in with the existing map extents.
- In the Select Image Resolution to Download section, move the slider to the right a couple notches. This increases the resolution for the image you are downloading. For example, you can select to download the image.
- Click OK. The image downloads from the server and is automatically loaded as a base map in Surfer. If that doesn't look quite what you want, you could look through some of the other servers, or browse through our WMS website for other server options.
Updated October 14, 2021