If updating the driver for your video card doesn't help resolve the issue, you can also turn off the hardware acceleration for the video driver in Surfer. Since Surfer won’t open, you can do this with the following steps:
- Close Surfer completely.
- In Windows 7 and below, click the Windows Start button and type regedit into the search bar. In Windows 8.1 and 10, right click on the Windows Start button and click Run, then type regedit into the box. Press ENTER on the keyboard and the Registry Editor will open. Be very careful when editing the registry!
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Golden Software\Surfer\14\Settings.
- Click Edit | New | String Value.
- For the name, enter: EnableFBO
- Double-click on the EnableFBO and enter 0 for the Value data.
- Click OK.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Restart Surfer.
We have also seen that some other programs, such as Webroot Secure Anywhere, caused the same error. You may want to try disabling other programs that are running in the background and try opening Surfer again.
Updated January 11, 2017