To export a 3D DXF file and display the 3D surface in AutoCAD, follow these steps:
- Create a contour map by clicking Home | New Map | Contour, selecting your grid file and clicking Open. You can select the contour map and adjust any of the properties (such as the contour interval) in the Properties window.
- Once the map is the way you want it, select the Contours layer in the Contents window and click Map Tools | Layer Tools | Export Contours.
- Give the file a name and choose AutoCAD DXF File from the Save as type list. Specify a location for the file, and click Save. The 3D DXF file is exported with the Z values for the contour lines.
- You can use this DXF file in AutoCAD to create a 3D surface. For example, in AutoCAD 2019
- Double click the open file icon in the top left corner of the application (), change the Files of type selection to DXF, select the DXF, and click Open.
- Click the icon at the right side of the application.
- Click in the lighter gray box around the darker gray "Top" box.
This will project a 3D version of the DXF file. You may want to click and drag the 3D box to rotate and tilt the display to a desired angle:
Updated October 4, 2018