When the map scale does not match the units of the map, this is usually because the map has been resized by stretching the corners or sides of the map. Stretching a map invalidates the map scale.
To rectify this:
- Select the map and click Home | Selection | Transform.
- Set the X Scale and Y Scale both to 1.
- Click OK. Now the map is scaled to how Surfer thinks it is and it will match the scale bar.
- Now to rescale the map properly, select Map in the Contents window.
- Click the Scale tab in the Properties window.
- If you don't want the x and y scales to be the same, uncheck Proportional XY scaling.
- Adjust the Length in the X and/or Y direction.
To add your vote to our suggestion file for the ability to maintain the map scale when clicking and dragging the handles, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated October 31, 2018