|KB no longer maintained - Strater is a retired product. Golden Software retired products are still supported, but no longer receive new features or updates. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.|
Yes, you can have one depth log showing measured depth (MD) and another showing true vertical depth (TVD) in Strater. Please see the DeviatedBorehole.sdg sample file for example.
To do this, you must first load inclination and azimuth data for your boreholes. You can do this either by:
- entering a single set of inclination/azimuth data into a collars table for each borehole
- loading a deviation survey with inclination/azimuth data into a survey table
- entering inclination/azimuth data into columns for each point in your data table
Once the inclination and azimuth data for the boreholes are entered into the data tables:
- Click Log | Create Log | Depth and click in the log pane or cross section pane window where you want the depth log showing MD to be.
- Select the depth log in the View window or Object Manager.
- In Log tab of the Property Manager:
- Set the Depth scope to be Hole measured depth.
- Set the Table.
- If you have multiple wells in your borehole view, set the Hole ID filter to the longest well.
- Click Log | Create Log | Depth and click in the log pane or cross section pane window where you want the depth log showing TVD to be.
- Select the new depth log.
- In the Property Manager:
- Set the Depth scope to be Hole true vertical depth.
- Set the Table.
- Set the Hole inclination column and the Hole azimuth column to whichever source you have the inclination and azimuth data.
- Click View | Display | View Properties.
- In the View tab of the Property Manager set the Depth method to Measured depth.
If you are using Strater 1 and Strater 2, these versions cannot calculate true vertical depth from measured depth and inclination data. If you can calculate the true vertical depths yourself, or if you already have a deviation survey with this information, there are a couple ways you can display this:
- Load the data with the Hole ID, Depth (MD), and TVD data. You can create a post log using the TVD data, choosing an invisible symbol and showing the keyword text. That will give you the TVD text in the correct position relative to the MD.
- If you want the logs to update according to either the MD or the TVD, you could import two different sets of data: one with Hole ID ("Measured") and Depth (MD), and another with Hole ID ("TVD") and Depth (TVD). Then switch the view on the fly between the two data sets. For example, you could import data for the MD data using a Hole ID of "Measured", and import data for the true vertical depths with a Hole ID of "TVD". Create your logs and log layout the way you want, and then click View | View Properties and in the Property Manager switch the ID Filter between "Measured" and "TVD".
Updated: February 4, 2019
Please sign in to leave a comment.