Do you need to perform mathematical calculations using one or more grid files? Or determine the volume between an upper and lower grid surface? These calculations were always possible in Surfer but only between grid files with identical geometry – a rarity in the real world. Surfer now allows users to perform these calculations with grids of different sizes and different X and Y value extents!
The Grid Math and Grid Volume tools work just the same as they have in previous versions, but now you have the option to align the grids by XY extents or grid nodes.
See the steps to perform Grid Math or Grid Volume on grids with differing geometry below:
- Click Grids | Calculate | Math or Grids | Calculate | Volume.
- Import grids in either dialog as usual. For more information about fields not covered here, see one of the following resources:
- In the Align grids using dropdown, select:
- Node position if the grids have the same number of rows, columns, and spacing.
- XY Coordinates if the grids do not have the same number of rows, columns, or spacing.
- Choose the grid for the Master grid (for geometry) field. This field is used for grids that are not in the same coordinate system.
- If Align grids using is set to XY coordinates and all grids are referenced but in a different coordinate system, the resulting grid file uses the master grid's coordinate system. If an input grid files is not referenced but another grid file is referenced, Surfer displays a warning about mixing referenced and unreferenced grid files. Selecting Yes continues with the math function operation, but none of the other grids will be projected to the master grid's coordinate system.
If the grids are in the same coordinate system, selecting Yes will perform the math as expected. However, if a grid is not referenced and not in the same coordinate system, select No at the warning to cancel the math function operation and return to the Grid Math or Grid Volume dialog. Select different grid files with referenced or matching coordinate systems or use the Grids | Edit | Assign Coordinate System to change the coordinate system of one or more of the grid files.
- Name the new grid, choose a saving location, and click OK. The new grid will be created.