It is possible to create custom skyboxes and add them to the Skybox drop down menu in the 3D view.
To create a skybox, you literally need a box of images (6 images total); 4 images around the sides, a top and a bottom. These images need to:
- Have exactly the same number of pixels as each other.
- Be saved in JPG or PNG format.
- Be named in the format of: name_position.jpg. For example: alpine_zneg.jpg.
- The name is the name you want to appear in the Skybox drop down.
- The position is the position of that particular image within the skybox (see image below for positions).
- Be saved in the SkyBoxes directory (e.g. C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Golden Software\Surfer\SkyBoxes).
For the naming position, each image needs to be identified by where in the skybox it belongs:
For the best results, the images or photographs used need to be true 3D images. Otherwise, when Surfer assembles the sub-pieces to create the composite image, the joins between the photographs will be visible and will detract from the (ideally) seamless output.
There are a number of places online where you may be able to download prepared skyboxes (can also be called "cubetextures"). You can try the list below, or try a Google search.
Updated November, 2021