Yes, it is possible to create custom SkyBoxes and add these into a directory so they will be loaded with Surfer's default SkyBoxes in 3D View.
To create a SkyBox, you literally need a box of images (6 images total); 4 images around the sides, a top and a bottom. These images need to:
- Be exactly the same size as each other.
- Be saved in JPG or PNG format.
- Be named in a special way (name_position.jpg, for example: alpine_zneg.jpg). See below for the position options.
- Be saved in the Skyboxes directory (C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Golden Software\Surfer 15\SkyBoxes).
For the naming position, each image needs to be identified by where on the SkyBox it belongs:
For the best results, the images or photographs used need to be true 3D images. Otherwise, when Surfer assembles the sub-pieces to create the composite image, the joins between the photographs will be visible and will detract from the (ideally) seamless output.
There are a number of places online you may be able to download prepared SkyBoxes from. You can try the list below, or try a Google search.
- http://www.custommapmakers.org/skyboxes.php (they're in TGA format, so you’ll need to resave as JPG or PNG)
Updated November 2, 2017