Before installing Golden Software products, it's essential to ensure your computer meets the necessary hardware and software prerequisites. This article outlines the general and specific system requirements for smooth operation. Whether you're setting up on a new computer or an older model, this guide provides detailed specifications for each software. Additionally, you'll find information on the license server requirements and links for direct downloads.
|Table of Contents
General system prerequisites
Golden Software products require certain hardware and software specifications in order to run smoothly and efficiently including Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 redistributables (x86 and x64) for successful installation and operation. Most newer model computers will already have these applications installed, but if your system is a few years old or was custom built, it may be necessary to download and install these programs prior to installing our software. Each of these programs can be downloaded directly from the Microsoft website using the links below.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (both x86 and x64 versions must be installed)
Please review the following system requirements before installing Golden Software products.
Windows 10, 11 or Higher
500 MB for installation
500 GB with 25% disc space available
Minimum 16-bit color depth
1024 x 768 or higher monitor resolution
OpenGL v3.2 or later, including the following support:
Specific software system requirements
Specific system requirements for the license server and Surfer are provided below.
Please note: Grapher, Strater, MapViewer, and Didger only require the general systems prerequisites detailed in the above section.
The minimum system requirements for the license server computer are based on the requirements for installation of the Sentinel RMS License Manager and the Golden Software License Administrator. The basic requirements can be found above in the General system prerequisites section. The following are details on any specific requirements to install and run the license server.
- The license server firewall must allow incoming traffic on UDP port 5093.
- The license manager uses IPv4 by default but can be configured for IPv6. See Concurrent Licensing Over An IPv6 Network.
- The client computers running the licensed program must be able to either resolve the name of the license server or communicate directly by the server's IP Address. This can work over local networks, VPN connections and over the public Internet as long as the client computer can reach the server computer by name or IP address, and UDP port 5093 is open.
- Communication between the client and server is not encrypted.
- Sentinel RMS License Manager, version 9.7 or newer - download here
- Golden Software License Administrator - download here
All software releases after 2022 will require that the Sentinel RMS License Manager version is 9.7 or higher. If you have an existing RMS License Manager installed on a license server, be sure to update the license manager before users update their Surfer or Grapher installs.
If the license server will be running on a virtual machine, see the article Use a virtual machine or IPv6 network for concurrent license server
Be careful when installing the Sentinel RMS License Manager on a server that is already running the Sentinel RMS License Manager and serving network licenses for a different software vendor. You can use an existing installed Sentinel RMS License Manager if its version is 9.7 or greater.
Only one Sentinel RMS License Manager can be running on a server, but it can manage licenses for multiple vendor's software. But be aware that if one of the vendors has set custom parameters it may affect all the software licenses on that server.
The basic requirements can be found above in the General system prerequisites section. The following are details on optional settings that are best practices for full Surfer functionality.
- Gridding, contouring, and color relief operations, all of which are heavily computational, are processor reliant and are multi-threaded. In Surfer, you will find a setting at File | Options | General | Max number of processors to use. It should be set to use all cores.
- For gridding and contouring operations, CPU performance is important. The more cores the better.
- When working consistently with very large data files, more RAM is important.
- Turning off auto recovery can help performance in some cases. It is OFF by default, but it can be enabled at File | Options | General | Save auto recovery information.
If you need further assistance with understanding system requirements, please reach out to our Customer Success Team and our legendary support agents will help you figure out if your machine meets the minimum requirements for each software.
Updated September 2023