There are various ways to limit the map extents/limits in Surfer.
Edit the limits for the Map
If you know the specific x and y coordinates you want to use to limit your map:
- Select the Map in the Contents window.
- Click on the Limits tab in the Properties window.
- Edit the xMin, xMax, yMin, and yMax to be your desired limits.
Draw a rectangle around the desired area
If you know visually where you want to limit your map:
- Select your map.
- Click Map Tools | Map Tools | Set Limits.
- A selection box appears around the entire map. Click and drag the yellow handles to resize the selection to the desired portion of the map.
- Press ENTER on your keyboard to update the map limits to the selection limits.
Print or export the zoomed-in area
If you want to print or export a subset of your map and you are zoomed into that subset, follow the instructions in the articles below:
- Can I export only what I see on the screen in Surfer?
- Can I print only what I see on the screen in Surfer?
Expand map limits when adding a new layer with larger limits
If you add a map layer to an existing map and the layer has larger limits than the map currently does, you will see a Surfer Warning dialog like this:
Click Yes to expand the map limits to include the entire new layer. Click No to keep the map limits unchanged.
Updated January 30, 2017