To create a map in Surfer, you can either select the map type directly from the New Map section of the Home ribbon bar tab, or you can use the Map Wizard to help you determine what types of maps can be created from your file. To use the Map Wizard to create a map:
- Click Home | Wizard | Map Wizard.
- The Map Wizard – Select Your Data dialog opens.
- In the Select File section, choose your file. This can be a data file, vector file, image file, or grid file.
- In the Data Preview section, check the box next to Show preview if you want to see a preview of your file. If your file is a vector, image, or grid file, the preview will show what the map could look like. If your file is a data file, the preview will show the rows and columns of data from the file.
- In the Select Data Columns section, if your file is a data file, choose the appropriate X, Y, and Z columns from your data. If your file is a vector, image, or grid file, the Select Data Columns section is empty.
- Click Next.
- In the Map Wizard – Select Your Map Type dialog,
- In the Map types section, choose the map or maps you want to create. The map types with a lock icon cannot be created from the selected file type. The Description section provides a description of the selected map type.
- Set the Add layer to dropdown list to [New Map] if you want to create a new map with layers for each of the selected map types, or select an existing map from the list if you wish to add layers for the selected map types to an existing map.
- If you have chosen to create a grid-based map from a data file, you will see a Next button. Click this button to take you to the Map Wizard - Select Gridding Parameters dialog detailed in step 4 below.
If you are creating any other map type from any other data file type, you will see a Finish button. Click this button to create the map and close the Map Wizard. In this case, you can skip step 4 below.
- If you have chosen to create a grid-based map from a data file, in the Map Wizard - Select Gridding Parameters dialog,
- Toggle Simple gridding parameters if you don't know what to use for the gridding parameters, if you're okay with the default gridding parameters, or if you only want to change some basic parameters. The options available to change with this option are the Gridding method, the Output grid geometry (x and y min, max, and spacing/# of nodes), the Output grid file name and path, and the ability to Blank grid outside convex hull of data. Changing any of the options in the Simple gridding parameters section will update the preview, if you have the Show preview checkbox checked.
Alternatively, toggle Advanced gridding parameters if you want to load a breakline or fault file, filter your data, alter the search ellipse, or specify any other advanced gridding parameters.
- If you toggle this option, the parameters in the Simple gridding parameters section will be disabled, and you will need to click the Advanced Gridding Parameters button.
- Set your desired gridding parameters in the Grid Data dialog.
- Click OK to apply the gridding parameters and return to the Map Wizard - Select Gridding Parameters dialog.
- Click OK and the grid file and map(s) are created.
Updated October 25, 2017