Online data sources such as WMS, OSM, WFS, and WCS servers are valuable tools in a map makers arsenal.
Surfer comes with a select few of the thousands of available servers predefined. You can also browse through our Web services KB for other server options.
To add a server to this list in Surfer, for use in creating a base map or grid-based map from a server, follow the instructions below
How to add a new WMS, OSM, WFS, or WCS server to Surfer
- Click Home | New Map | Base from Server to open the Download online Maps dialog, OR
Click Grid | New Grid | Grid from Server to open the Download Online Grids dialog.
- Right-click a major category (e.g. US Geologic maps, US Imagery, US Vector Data, etc.) and click Add Map Source.
- In the Add Map Source dialog,
- Enter a Name for the server. This can be anything that will help you determine what information it contains.
- Choose a server type from the Type list.
- Enter the server's URL.
- Click Validate.
- If the initial test is a success, click OK and the server is added to the chosen category in the Select Data Source list.
If the initial test fails, you will need to locate a valid URL for the selected server type, or click Cancel.
Updated May 2023