Yes, you can download grid data like DEMs or elevation data from within Surfer. To do so:
- Click the Home | New Map command for the grid-based map type you wish to create (eg. Home | New Map | Contour).
- In the Open Grid dialog, click the Download button to open the Download Online Grids dialog.
- Either select a layer from one of the servers in the Terrain Data category, or load your own WCS server using the instructions here.
- Choose the area to download from the Select Area to Download section.
- If allowed, chose a resolution from the Select Grid Resolution to Download section.
- Click OK to download the grid and create the grid-based map.
Note: You can select an image from a WMS or OSM server, but it will not contain relevant z information, so it is not recommended.
Note: If you select a vector layer from a WFS server, you will see this message in the Select Grid Resolution to Download section:
If you miss this message, when you click OK you will see this error:
Note: If you click File | New Map | Base, an error will be generated because you cannot use a grid file to create a base map. If you want to create a base map, select one of the other servers that provide image or vector data (WMS, OSM, or WFS types) in the Download Online Maps dialog.
Updated April, 2020