Profiles can only be created through grid based map layers such as contour maps, color relief maps, 3D surface maps or wireframes. To create a profile through your point cloud, you will first need to convert the source data into a grid file:
- Open your point cloud as a map by clicking Home | New Map | Specialty | Point Cloud. Details on how to create a point cloud map are in this article: How can I view my LiDAR data?
- In the Contents window, select the Point Cloud map layer.
- Click Point Cloud | Features | Create Grid. The Grid Point Cloud dialog opens.
- Specify the Data field to grid, Aggregation method and Output Grid Geometry, or leave the defaults.
- Choose the Output Grid file location and type a file name.
- Check the Add grid as layer to box and select the point cloud Map frame.
- Set the New layer type as Contour.
- Click OK.
- Click Map Tools | Add to Map | Profile.
- In the Plot window, click to set the vertices of your profile. Press ENTER when finished. The profile is created.
Updated September 19, 2017