Point Cloud data can be viewed in the 3D View as points, or, it can be gridded to create a grid surface. You may want to grid your point cloud data if you'd like to create a Profile from the data, or perform grid processing commands such as Grid Math or Grid Mosaic.
Surfer has a special Grid Data dialog for point cloud data that will provide faster results than the standard Grid Data dialog. See how to use the Grid Point Cloud tool to grid your LAS or LAZ point cloud data below:
- Open your point cloud as a map by clicking Home | New Map | Specialty | Point Cloud. Details on how to create a point cloud map are in this article: How can I view my LiDAR data?
- In the Contents window, select the Point Cloud map layer.
- Click Point Cloud | Features | Create Grid. The Grid Point Cloud dialog opens.
- Specify the Data field to grid, Aggregation method and Output Grid Geometry, or leave the defaults.
- Choose the Output Grid file location and type a file name.
- Check the Add grid as layer to box and select the point cloud Map frame.
- Set the New layer type as Contour, or desired map type.
- Click OK.
Now a grid has been created and you can create a Profile, or use any of the other grid processing commands.
Updated May 2021