When you try to install Surfer, you may receive an This program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing error message (shown below). The issue is that the Microsoft KB2999226 (Universal CRT) which is part of the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 failed to install.
To resolve this issue:
- Install all Windows updates:
- Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel.
- In the Search Control Panel, type Windows Update.
- Click on Windows Update.
- Click the Check for updates option.
- Install any updates that are available.
- Restart your computer.
- Repeat this step until no further Windows updates are found.
- Manually Download the Visual C++ Redistributable.
- Double-click on the downloaded EXE file. This is either vc_redist.x64.exe and/or vc_redist.x86.exe.
- After double-clicking on the EXE, select Uninstall.
- Reboot your computer.
- Double-click on the downloaded EXE file again.
- After double-clicking on the EXE, select Install.
- Reboot the computer if prompted.
- Install Surfer using the normal download instructions.
Updated September 21, 2017